Friday 16 December 2011

I Cry at Sad Films

Sorry about this but I don't seem to have the hang of putting up a link so you can listen to it whilst reading the post. I will work on it although all suggestions gratefully received.

Todays music (its OK just dance like no-one was watching)

I cry at sad films. 
I always have done. 
The first time it became an issue, or more accurately when I realised that I might be in a minority of men, is when I went to the cinema with my then girlfriend to watch Love Story and when the lights came up it was obvious I had big crocodile tears running down my cheeks. 
She took one look at me and said “You soft twat” and walked out and left me there using my shirt sleeve to wipe away the tears. 

The strange thing was that her reaction didn’t bother me in the slightest. 
I already knew I cried at sad films, and ones with happy endings, or when something wonderful happens that is enough to stir the emotions. 

So today I am going to cheat a bit and just list some of the things that have moved me to tears over the years. 
I will add links where appropriate 

I toyed with the idea of working out what it was about each thing that moved me to express tears, but I think I have always known that tears don’t always mean pain and sadness. They are the release of a whole series of other emotions as well such as (but not limited to) joy, appreciation, gratitude, sorrow, wonderment, anger, frustration, pride and happiness, and it is far far better to let themselves manifest as tears, than it is to bottle them up and refuse them for fear of appearing to be soft or unmanly. 

Although no doctor or psychologist I am sure that many illnesses, both mental and physical, are a symptom of suppressed emotion, and I am not talking about the heart wrenching, body wracked with sobs tears that deep sorrow signifies, but more with the tears left to freely roll down the cheeks type of crying. 

The freedom to cry without pain if you like. 
Here is short list of things that have made (and make) me cry.

Happy endings in films (Like the final scene of the Shawshank Redempntion)

Sad endings in films (Love Story being a classic case in kind or the end of El Postino)

 Torvil and Dean dancing Bolero

The moment of my first child’s birth and holding him in my arms for the first time.

The moment of my second child’s birth and holding her in my arms for the first time.

Seeing my wife in her wedding dress

Seeing and  mingling with the hundreds that came to our open wedding party.

Swimming alongside my daughter as she swam and spluttered her first length of the town pool so that we could get the lifeguard off our case and stay up at the deep end larking about. The sheer guts and determination that is inherent in her. 

Being there when my son in his roller blades dropped into his first vertical ramp (4.5 meters and he was only just over a meter tall himself) at a skate park. That look of pride, relief and an internal battle won in his eyes.

Countless other moments of pride and joy with them or at them at various events and achievements through the years.and seeing  proof that my children are really good people.

Watching my wife collect her MA in Psychotherapy and Counselling

Watching her cross the finish line in her first half marathon.   

The sound of the lone bugler playing the Last Post at my dads funeral and the sight of those dignified old men of the Burma Star Association saluting.

David Gilmore playing Shine on You Crazy Diamond with David Crosby and Graham Nash on backing vocals.

Hearing from his son that one of my best mates had died of a massive stroke.

When ever I am at an airport waiting for someone the arrivals but where everyone stands and waits. I always get there early just to watch people greeting their loved ones and long time not seen ones. Never fails to get me.

Seeing my wife’s smile when I wake up on the first morning after getting home from sea.

And this had tears of laughter rolling down my face because it reminded me of the many times when we have been out as a family and ended up in fits of laughter for no apparent reason than just being happy to be around each other.
      
Love and Peace
Bentley

2 comments:

  1. your'e wife looked lovely in that wedding dress- so proud of myself for making it! you are a great cryer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you are a fantastic dress maker Jen
    Love Bentleyx

    ReplyDelete