Sunday 25 December 2011

Staying in Contact

When I am home during chirstmas (which has only been about 3 times in the last 10 years) I don't spend much time thinking about the people I haven't seen for a while as I am too busy being with the people I am with. 
Although Mrs B makes the effort with cards to old mates I have never sent cards and am not about to start. 
I like writing letters and the electronic equivalent but at the risk of sounding "bah humbug" I find the whole card thing to be one of the more pointless habitual duties that people perform at this time of year and a complete waste of time and energy. 

Never have I felt my spirits soar to receive a card (one out a bargain box of 50 for a quid) from someone who scrawls my name at the top (and their name at the bottom) of the impersonal message of 'seasons greetings' or 'merry christmas' printed in the middle. 
Why bother if once a year you cant find the time to write a few lines about how you are and whats happening in your life and to inquire after the other person. 

If this annual, hastily scrawled, reciting of names is the only contact you have, then is it even worth the effort of staying in contact, and what purpose does this vacuous form of non-contact serve either of you? 

Some would say that "its the thought that counts" and I counter with "What thought?" 
As far as I can see there is no thought involved in dusting off the address book and hastily scribbling your way though one bland, unimaginative card after another to people you haven't seen, or heard from, in a year or more. 

If someone cant spare me more thought than a random selection from a generic bunch of bargain bin cards once year, then it would be just as well if they didn't think off me at all, and save us both from the pointless charade. 
I think it is up to us all to question if we can, or want to, be bothered in putting some energy into keeping the contact alive. 

If through circumstances or geography it is not possible to spend much time in each others company (and whats the point of staying in contact with people, friends or family, that you wouldn't want to spend time with) then at least make the contact you do have be meaningful and informative. I think I am saying "show you care" 


Based on the above, and also because I am stuck in the middle of the 'oggin and have time to think about such things, to the people I haven't heard from (or taken the time and made the effort to contact myself) I am going through every one of my e mail contact addresses (that are not professional related) and writing a personal message saying I am thinking of them, and with some info about what I am up to. along with wishing them an enjoyable festive season and a good fortune filled year to come. I am basically letting them know that they are people I want to stay in regular contact with. 

I am only up to the D's and have already had a couple of "wrong addresses" back so I have deleted them. 
I am finding that this exercise in communication serves two purposes:- 
1- It will tidy up my electronic address book 
2-It will let the people I know, care about, and want to remain in contact with (but may possibly be guilty of neglecting that contact) that I am thinking of them personally and that I am making the effort to let them known that I do value their inclusion in my address book and in my life. 

I will let you know how it goes. 
Cheers 
Bentley

No comments:

Post a Comment